About the Grange

Do we pay GST on HOA Fees?

Starting in 2021, the Grange Homeowners Association will be charging GST on all fees. Our Auditor for the fiscal year of 2019, Cass & Fraser Chartered Professional Accountants, informed us that we need to collect and remit GST, since our organization makes revenues over $50,000. Since the start of the Grange Homeowners Association, the Board has understood that collecting GST was not necessary, as we felt that we were acting in the same capacity as a Condominium Board. Condominium fees are GST exempt, as per the CRA guidelines. So, the Board felt it was necessary to seek the advice of a tax law expert. On the recommendation of our legal advisors at Parlee McLaws LLP, we reached out to BDO Canada LLP. An accountant within BDO Canada LLP, has confirmed that in fact Homeowners Associations, such as ours, have to collect and remit GST. The same accountant will be working on our behalf registering for GST and correcting our historic GST accounting.

What is The Grange Homeowners Association?

The Grange Homeowners Association was created to provide funds to uphold the aesthetic standard for our community.   The GHOA intends to provide immediate value to its members through the development and maintenance of common areas within our community and representation to the City of Edmonton on issues of interest to all Grange residents.  The intention is to go beyond the limited and infrequent grounds maintenance provided by the City in an attempt to elevate and promote The Grange.  Painting the fences on the main routes through the community, maintaining the flower gardens on the street islands are just a few examples of how some of these goals can be achieved.

What do my GHOA fees pay for?

Your annual GHOA fee pays for the following:

  • Landscaping of over 50 sites on a weekly or biweekly schedule depending on the area.
  • Mulch replacement every 6 years.
  • Exterior fence painting every 10 years.

For more information, check the “Project Updates” section under the” Lastest News” headline.

How is the GHOA notified of a change in home ownership?

GHOA is not automatically notified when a property transfers title in the Grange and this at times leads to confusion for the new homeowner. It is the responsibility of the purchaser (through their lawyer) to notify GHOA of the change in ownership.

How is information shared with the GHOA community?

Information about The Grange is disseminated utilizing the following methods:

It is important that you keep the owner’s information current.  If your email or address changes please update it utilizing the Contact Us form or emailing us at info@thegrangecommunity.ca

What is the GHOA doing about crime in The Grange?

The Glastonbury Community League and The Grange Homeowners Association supports the Edmonton Neighbourhood Watch program and encourages all residents to participate in this worthwhile crime prevention program.

How can I participate?

  1. Get to know at least 3 neighbours in your community and watch out for each other’s properties.
  2. Read the crime prevention tips and safety suggestions on the ENW website.
  3. Follow social media and build awareness about crime:
  4. Watch for the orange sign posted in the community and encourage all residents to participate in this worthwhile program by
  5. Report Suspicious Activity Immediately to:
    • The Edmonton Police Service. Dial #377 or 780-423-4567 for non-emergencies, or 911 for emergencies.  You can also report suspicious activity via the EPS mobile app.


How can I get involved in The Grange Homeowners Association?

There are numerous ways to improve our community. The best way is to come to the Annual General meeting and identify yourself as someone who would like to volunteer. Please note that volunteering is not limited to board membership – together we will better our neighbourhood.  If you are interested in volunteering contact us via this website or emailing us at info@thegrangecommunity.ca.


Do I have to be a member of The Grange Homeowners Association?

Yes,  membership in The Grange Homeowners Association by a buyer is a condition of purchase; a buyer is not given an option to reject it.   If you own a home in The Grange there is an encumbrance on your property, which obliges you to pay the annual GHOA membership fee.

Selling my house or condo, who should I inform about the GHOA, its services and annual fees?

In the event you are selling your house or condo you should inform your real estate agent, lawyer, and any potential buyer about the GHOA.

Discuss the following items:

  1. Annual Fee
  2. Features and services provided by the GHOA
  3. Annual General Meetings (AGM)

Take advantage of what’s provided as an additional selling feature of living in The Grange neighborhood.

Have them go to the website http://www.thegrangecommunity.ca

What is happening with the playground located at Graham Gate and Graham Wynd ?

There are no immediate plans to change or refurbish the playground.

The City of Edmonton has rated this playground a 3.45 out of 5.  This means the playground is in good condition and while there is some wear  on the overall structure it is still in reasonable condition.  The remaining life for replacement is estimated to be in 2033.

The Playground Condition Report was requested on November 30, 2018.

Restrictive Covenant

What is a Restrictive Covenant?

To provide enhancement of the community over the years to come, restrictive covenants in many communities in Edmonton have been registered against all single-family lots.  Restrictive covenants include restrictions on roofing materials that are permitted and required that all fence constructed by residents be constructed in accordance with the design identified in the restrictive covenants.  For more information check out the header,  “Restrictive Covenants” on this website.


Is there a specific shingle I need to use when replacing my roof?

The goal of The Grange is maintain aesthetic appeal and replace shingles with a like color.

Both metal and asphalt shingles will be accepted as long as they are a similar style and color to what you currently have on your current roof.

Here are some examples of shingles current homeowners have used:

  1. BP Mystique 42 – Beachwood
  2. IKO Cambridge – Driftwood
  3. IKO Dynasty – Driftshake
  4.  Owens Corning Duration – Driftwood

Please check with the GHOA should you have any questions about the type or color of shingles you are required to use.



Is there colour I need to use when painting the fence in The Grange community?

Yes, there is a colour that you are required to use when painting your exterior fence:

  • Stain Colour by Cloverdale Paint, Grange Green No. 9901052
  • Stain Colour by Dulux Paint, Grange Green No. 2021

If you are painting fences, please ensure they are the right colour.
Having a unified fence colour is a large part of what keeps our neighbourhood cohesive and appealing.


Is there a Restrictive Covenant on the design of garage I build?

Yes, the design of a garage must comply with the following:

  1. Garages are to conform to the principle building in terms of color, style, and materials
  2. Garages shall be a maximum of 41 square meters
  3. Garages shall not exceed 3.85 meters in height.  The height is the vertical distance between the horizontal plane through grade and horizontal plane at the highest point  of the garage
  4. The roof of the garage shall be Gable or Cottage style with a minimum pitch of 3/12
  5. At the time of approval of the principle building, the site for the garage shall be clearly demarcated on the site and on the plan

Is there a fence design I need to follow when replacing my exterior fence?

Yes, there is a specific design you need to follow when replacing your exterior fence.

  1.  Wood Screen – The Grange- Design Guidelines Wood
  2. Chain Link –The Grange- Design Chain Link

Installation Clarification

Residents who have a black vinyl chain link fence at the rear of their lot that was installed by The Developer can either have a wood screen fence or black vinyl chain link fencing installed on the side yard of residential lots.  Only Stages 10A, 10B, 10C, 15, 16 have chain link fences built by The Developer.

Please also refer to the City of Edmonton BUILDING A FENCE OR PRIVACY SCREEN for more information before fence replacement or repair.

How do I know which Restrictive Covenant applies to my property?

There are two ways you can figure out which Restrictive Covenant applies to your property:

  1. Looking for your Restrictive Covenant that applies to your property on your Land Titles Certificate.
    1. Under the section Encumbrances, Liens & Interests look for the number that will match the Stages of the Restrictive Covenant located on the Restrictive Covenant page under Properties on this website.
      • For example, if you open this  Land Title Document you will see an example of an actual Land Title Certificate.  The registration number on the Land Titles Document is circled in red. In this case, the Restrictive Covenant is 022 373 348-Stage RF5(Pheasant Pointe2004).  Try finding it on the Restrictive Covenant page.
  2. Utilize the stages of development:
    1. Open the Restrictive Covenant Address and Stage Description document on the Restrictive Covenant page under Properties on this website.
    2. Look for your address and stage of development.  For example, 1086 Grantham Drive is under Stage 22.
    3. Then look for the stages of the Restrictive Covenant, the number attached to the stage is what will be in your Land Titles Certificate.  For the above address, it would be 042051330-Stage 22.

Questions about a homeowners association?

What is a homeowners association?

A homeowners association (HOA) is a group created by the developer of a community.  Functions vary, but many HOAs monitor architectural guidelines or provide maintenance services for amenities that the municipality will not maintain. HOAs are common in newer communities, including some condominiums.  Where HOAs exist, membership is compulsory as is the requirement to pay an annual fee.  The HOA fee is separate from a condominium unit owner’s condominium contributions.  The existence of an HOA is registered on the property title.

What is the benefit of having a homeowners association?

Neibourhoods with a HOA tend to have high aesthetic appeal overall for many current owners and potential buyers.

What is the difference between my condominium association versus the Homeowners Association?

There was an excellent article published by McLeod Law LLP that answers this question very well.

Condominum vs Homeowners Association


What is the difference between The Grange, The Glastonbury Community League and The City of Edmonton?

The Grange Homeowners Association:

  • Enhances basic services and amenities provided by the City of Edmonton (e.g. mulch, weed control, tree pruning)
  • Governed by the Societies Act
  • Non Profit
  • Board of Directors in place
  • Mandatory Membership

Glastonbury Community League

  • Community League mandate is more event-based (e.g. swimming, skating, green shack, soccer, yoga)
  • Some development amenities (e.g. playgrounds, water parks, basketball courts)
  • Represent the community on matters of interest to appropriate order of government and other organizations (e.g. traffic issues, crime prevention, new developments)
  • Non Profit
  • Volunteer Membership
  • Board of Directors in place
  • For more information visit the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues

The City of Edmonton

  • In the context of a neighbourhood, the city enforces bylaws (e.g noise, excessive noxious weeds on resident lands, sidewalk snow removal, permits, traffic) and traffic-related matters (e.g speeding, crosswalks, shortcutting)
  • “Owners” of common land
  • Elected officials
  • Issues: Call 311 or use the 311 app

What is the Glastonbury Community League?

The  Glastonbury Community League is a volunteer-run organization serving the residents of Glastonbury in west Edmonton and the immediate surrounding area. The League encompasses the Grange, Granville, and Parkland subdivisions, and exists to encourage and facilitate involvement by the community to build a safe, friendly and active neighbourhood. It provides programs, services, and infrastructure and acts as an advocate for the community representing its needs and interests.


Please visit their website and become informed: https://www.glastonbury-cl.org/